The other night I went to a fun show. Had some family performing. At first I wasn’t looking forward to it. Okay I was semi-looking forward to it but I thought there was no chance my 3 year old would sit through.
I was told it would be free, in a church, and my Uncle-in-Law was playing Teyve. So I was thinking some community performance of FIddler on the Roof. That’s not what I got. I got a variety of songs.
- Music Man – Wells Fargo Wagon
- Showboat – Make Believe
- West Side Story – I Feel Pretty
- My Fair Lady – Loverly
- Annie – Maybe/Hard Knock Life
- Man of LaMancha – The Impossible Dream
- Sound of Music – Waltz/So Long Farewell?Edelweiss
- Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat – Close Every Door/Go Go Go Joseph
- Les Miserable – Do You Hear the People Sing / On My Own
- Mary Poppins – Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
- Fiddler on the Roof – Chava Ballet Sequence
- Tangled – When Will my Life Begin
- Newsies – Seize the Day
- Music Man – Lida Rose/Pick a Little/Good Night Ladies
- Seven Bride for Seven Brothers – Barnraising
- Wicked – For Good
- Oklahoma – Oklahoma
So there you go that was the line up. It was quite the performance and also very enjoyable. The cast was huge. My daughter was even entertained quite a bit of the time. She really liked Mary Poppins, Annie, and the Tangled numbers.
Still there were some music choices that I was not sure about. I don’t know how it was all chosen. I am sure there was some we need a number here during this costume change. Still so much Music Man and no 76 trombones? or even Ya Got Trouble?
I am no expert or even a cultured theater goer but I figured I would mention some songs I would choose if I was participating. Rules
- It is in a church so the song must be clean
- Looks like they are all Broadway or Disney
- To a lesser extent they should be able to have several people in it (the Tangled performance had at least a dozen girls singing it)
- Pete’s Dragon – I Saw a Dragon or Bill of Sale
- King and I – Shall we Dance.
- Guys and Dolls – Sit Down your Rocking the Boat
- Little Shop of Horrors – Skid Row
- My Daughter would say some Beauty and the Beast or Little Mermaid
That was actually harder that I thought. Wanted to say Grease but figured that’s not the cleanest. Or Paint Your Wagon. Feel free to tell me what I am missing. I know there is no Phantom, Cats or Lion King.