A little while back I wrote a blog post about the books I love to recommend to people. The problem was those were all adult oriented books and I realized I am often asked to recommend books for young adults. Not only young adults but mainly the male version of young adult.
I am not going with the obvious recommendations. Harry Potter should be read by everyone. I figure if you haven’t read Harry Potter then it is by choice not because you haven’t heard about it. You might say the same thing about “The Hunger Games”. Although this book isn’t as universal as Harry Potter. You might want your kid to be a little more mature when reading this book.
1) Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz #1) by Brandon Sanderson – If you read my previous blog you saw that Brandon Sanderson was on there too. I love this series. Alcatraz has an odd super power. As does most of his family and they have to save the world from those Evil Librarians. Mr. Sanderson does break the fourth wall in this book which I found quite entertaining.
2) The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles #1) by Cinda Williams Chima – This story follows 16 year old Jack who finds a new found strength that leads him to becoming a Warrior. With that he learns there is a whole other world out there dealing with magic and politics that he must deal with.
3) The Journal of Curious Letters (The 13th Reality #1) by James Dashner – It took me the longest time to buy this book. I looked at it over and over again but when I did buy it (and read it) I was so glad I did. Imagine a world full of Alternate realities. Now imagine there are a bunch of events happening that can destroy all those realities.
4) The Merchant of Death (Pendragon #1) by D.J. MacHale – Just reading the first two chapters of this book I was hooked. Bobby Pendragon gets dragged into the middle of an immense, inter-dimensional conflict.
5) Slathbog’s Gold (Adventurers Wanted #1) by M.L. Forman – This was one of the best YA books I have found in a while. No one notices a sign “Adventurers Wanted” but Alex Taylor. When he goes in to apply he finds himself in a different world with dragons and treasure.